1404 - It remains unproven as to whether Owain Glyndwr destroyed Llantrisant castle during his revolt

1424 - Confirmation Charter was presented by Richard Beachamp, Earl of Warwick and Lord le Despenser, Lord of Glamorgan on October 20

1485 – The last Constable of the Castle, Sir Robert Jones was appointed. He died in 1532

1474 – Many burgage plots lay vacant in Llantrisant

1490 – Llantrisant Parish Church tower was erected

1492 – A total of 60 burgage plots were abandoned

1514 - The town witnessed a massive decline into a village scarcely bigger than it was 200 years earlier

1539 – The parish of Llantrisant, which extended to the Breconshire border was moved from the jurisdiction of the Abbot of Tewkesbury to the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester

1540 – Leland visited Llantrisant and stated that the castle was "in ruine"

1555 - One of the earliest recorded instances of Beating the Bounds in Llantrisant

1630 - The survey of the town and borough of Llantrisant was held at Cardiff Castle on August 13 and included a detailed description of the boundary of the borough in its contents

1633 – The 4 Earl of Pembroke presented the Mace to the Llantrisant Corporation of Freemen

1648 – Rev Thomas Bassett, vicar of Llantrisant imprisoned for being a Royalist for 12 years

1650 – The Baptist faith was first recorded in the town

1662 - Rev Henry Williams was ejected from Llantrisant for “misbehaviour”

1678 – A record of 14 nonconformist families were living in Llantrisant alongside 146 conformist families

1682 - A Quaker Meeting House was built at Treferig

1701 - Rev James Harris established two Charity Schools in Llantrisant

1710 – The "Case of the Borough" episode

1716 - Llantrisant Charity School had 30 pupils

1718 – A peal of six bells were hung in Llantrisant Parish Church tower

1736 – The baptism of Hopkin Hopkins of Llantrisant, the world's shortest man

1738 – The pioneer of Methodism Howell Harris visited Llantrisant on August 6

1739 - From 1739 to 1773 a circulating school of teachers held classes in the Guildhall and Corn Market as patronised by Lord Bute

1741 - The Methodist movement was first recorded at Ty Newydd Farm. The leader, Thomas William drowned in the river at Treorchy

1743 - John Wesley preached at Llantrisant on October 27

1749 - The Guildhall needed repair as it was "in ruin"

1750 – The parish church communion plate presented as “The gift of William and Jane Matthews, Llantrisant 10 October 1750"

1762 – The New Inn is recorded as being in property of Jesus College, Oxford

1764 – 40 Llantrisant residents died in less than 40 days with one diarist blaming it on the arrival of industry to the south

1767 – John Stuart, 1 Marquess of Bute took ownership of the estate.

1770 – The Guildhall in a “shocking state”. The Borough Scales and Weights were presented as “not fit for business”

1771 – An eisteddfod was held in the Swan Inn

1772 – Freemen searched for coal on Llantrisant Common

1773 – The rebuilding of the Guildhall following the investment by Lady Windsor

1775 – Penuel Calvinistic Methodist Chapel (Bethlehem Chapel) was opened on 8 February, after their congregation of 50 regular Sunday members secured a lease of a house, stables and garden at Ffynnon Newydd on High Street

1779 - Llywelyn John and Rees John, overseers of the market, were presented at the Court Leet for being “very remiss in their duty in not weighting bread and butter and other commodities upon market days which belongs to  their duty to do so”  

1780 - Watkin Evans became “surgeon and apothecary” of the town

1781 - Beating the Bounds held on May 24

1783 - The Corporation of Freemen warned that the Common was overstocked. On 5 December a Parish Vestry Meeting was held to “consult in regard of establishing a workhouse for the poor” at a time when vagabonds, prostitutes and thieves were rife in the town. It was agreed to open a Parish Workhouse

1787 – Anne Bassett presented a chandelier to the Llantrisant Parish Church

1794 - On 17 May the Parish Vestry decided to lease a property from Rev Gervase Powell of Llanharan including three burgage plots at the end of Swan Street. This was known as the North Workhouse. An inaugural meeting of the trustees was held in the 17 May. Beating the Bounds took place on October 10

1799 - The Corporation stated that “persons have turned scabbed and mangy horses on the Common. They are fined each for that offence”. The North Workhuse on Swan Street ceased to work

1800 - There were three charity schools in Llantrisant, but the system was "deplorable"

1802 - The Welsh Independent Movement started in the area

1803 - A Llantrisant youth, of nineteen, named David Williams was executed at Cardiff gaol for the murder of a boy

1806 - Rev Robert Rickards, a major political force, became portreeve of the town

1809 - Jacob, a deacon, bought the lease of a piece of ground on 6 September from the Diocese of Llandaff adjactent to the parish church. He proceeded to build the chapel known as Yr Hen Ty Cwrdd Uchaf, or Bethel Chapel (The Upper Meeting House). Beating the Bounds was held on 13 May

1812 - A Baptist group met in the market square and the Marquess of Bute allowed them to use the Guildhall

1813 - Welsh speaking followers of the Wesleyan movement built the original Zozobabel Welsh Wesleyan Chapel on Swan Street on property belonging to Edward William

1818 – The Court Leet Riot took place

1824 - Tabor Baptist Church was built

1825 Llantrisant National School was up and running in the Guildhall. The boys were later moved to Newpark and girls remained in the Guildhall

1826 – Penuel Chapel was rebuilt. Beating the Bounds held in September

1827 – The Corporation disallowed bull baiting on the Bull Ring

1833 – Llantrisant castle’s Raven Tower was dismantled

1839 - The Guildhall hosted a large eisteddfod which attracted many local poets to compete for the coveted Gorsedd

1840 - Beating the Bounds was held on 19 October. Thomas Morgan Lewis became Llantrisant’s superintendent with six constables and a station was located in a building on Swan Street

1843 – Castellau Independent Chapel built

1847 - Beating the Bounds was held on 17 October

1848 - A sporting foot race held on Llantrisant Common for £20. It featured “John Morgan of Llantwit and an Englishman. Won by the latter"

1851 - On 26 September Thomas S Harrison, son of Dr Harrison, was shot in the right side at Gwain y Crwth lane by running away from a person of the name of Barber.

1854 - Beating the Bounds held on October 16. Local residents petitioned for Sunday closure of the public houses

1861 - Welsh Independent members who left Bethel Chapel amid a controversial split in the congregation held meetings at a large room at a farmhouse in Mwyndy

1862 - Welsh Independent members acquired, on lease, land at Cardiff Road, Penygawsi where the first Soar Chapel was erected on 25 November

1865 - A successful eisteddfod was held in the market place to raise funds for a Reading Room and Library at the Guildhall. In November a great commotion took place between the body of Freemen by the action of Lord Bute through his Trustee having given permission to T. Powell Esq to search for coal under the Common

1866 - A site for a National School was selected by J. S. Corbett, Esq., and the Vicar of Llantrisant. Sem Phillips published his "History of Llantrisant"

1867 - Llantrisant National School opened on the property of the Earl of Talbot and Shrewsbury who presented the land for use costing £2,000

1868 – Swan Stores opened on the site of the former Swan Fawr public house

1870 – Morgan’s Bakery opened on Roam Road. The Market closed

1871 – Dr William Price moved to Ty'r Clettwr in Llantrisant

1872 – The Parish Offices were built on Yr Allt on the site of the former Parish House. A smallpox epidemic swept through the town, resulting in the destruction of Glyn Terrace

1873 – Restoration of the Parish Church was undertaken by J. Prichard, costing £3,000. The east window was installed by Burne Jones

1875 – Freeman Dr Ivor Ajax Lewis defeated Mr Lovett of Neath in the Welsh Handball Championship

1876 – A Police Station was built on George Street

1878 - Treferig Valley Railway was built across a section of the Common to service the Glyn Colliery

1882 – A newsreport suggested the lack of water closets and overcrowding generally in Llantrisant

1883 – The death of Canon John Powell Jones at the Vicarage on 21 December. The Municipal Corporations Act was passed which effectively ended the Corporation of Freemen. Dr William Price's housekeeper Gwenllian Llewellyn gave birth to their son Iesu Grist, in August

1884 – Wesleyan Chapel built at Southgate. The cremation of Iesu Grist Price took place in January and subsequently Dr William Price appeared at a landmark court hearing. His success led to the passing of the Cremation Act

1885 – Llantrisant Parish Church came under the diocese of Llandaff

1889 - Llantrisant Town Trust was formed under the Charity Commission to manage to the land and rights of the Freemen. Llantrisant RFC was first recorded

1890 - The inaugural meeting of Llantrisant Town Trust took place on 31 January. The Billy Wynt was restored as a folly for £15.

1891 - David Evans of Glanmychydd Farm became Lord Mayor of London. He visited Llantrisant the following year

1893 – Cecilia Jones of London presented the large eagle brass lecturn and Bible to Llantrisant Parish Church. The cremation of Dr William Price took place at East Caerlan before 20,000 people

1894 – Llantrisant Parish Church tower and west end was restored. The oak screen was installed in memory of Canon Powell Jones. Llantrisant and Llantwit Fardre Rural District Council was created

1896 – Zozobabel Chapel on Swan Street was closed. A library and reading room was created in the place of the Cornmarket below Llantrisant Guildhall

1897 - On 30 June 30 a dinner was held at the Guildhall to celebrate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee. A copper gift chalice and paten, the gift of J. Coates Carter was presented to the Parish Church where the first baptistry by emersion took place with Grace Williams on 4 November. 

1898 - Elim Chapel was constructed in fine Victorian style. Taliesin Morgan wrote "History of Llantrisant". The first record of a male choir in Llantrisant was during a concert on 1 March

1901 - Beating the Bounds held after a long period on 30 September 

1902 – Closure of Bethel Chapel and erection of the new Soar Chapel

1903 – John David demolished cottages on the end of Swan Street to open a butchers shop

1905 - Rev Joshua Pritchard Hughes (vicar since 1883) was consecrated Bishop of Llandaff. A teetotaller, he established the Red Dragon Hotel Temperance Hall

1909 - Llantrisant Male Choir was reformed

1916 - Heroes from The Great War were decorated at a special ceremony held in the Guildhall

1918 – Zozobabel Chapel closed and sold to rural district council

1921 - James Taylor, the Llantrisant-born Lord Mayor of Cardiff visited the town

1922 - Dr J.C.R. Morgan built Southgate House to open a surgery

1923 - Luther Jones was appointed Conductor of Llantrisant Male Choir and remained in post for 51 years

1924 - Tabor Baptist Church was rebuilt

1926 - Two additional bells hung in the church tower and a dedication ceremony took place in December

1927 - Llantrisant Opera Society’s performance of The Magic Key. Llantrisant Freeman’s Golf Club moved from the Common to Talbot Green after massive opposition in the town

1928 – Llantrisant Telephone Exchange opened

1929 - Llantrisant and District Choral was formed by local GP Dr J.C.R. Morgan

1930 - Beating the Bounds was held on 12 August

1931 - Llantrisant Bowls Club was formed

1932 - On 24 November Llantrisant bellringers completed a full peal 5040 Changes of Plain Bob Triples which is commemorated on a plaque in the belfry. This was rung in memory of the late Rev D H Simon

1934 – Widening of Newbridge Road began

1937 - Llantrisant Festival was held to celebrate the Coronation of King George and Queen Elizabeth

1939 – Filming of Paul Robeson's Proud Valley took place in the town. The last Welsh language services were held in the parish church

1944 - American GIs set up camp on Llantrisant Common

1945 - Llantrisant Town Band disbanded following the Armistice Parade in neighbouring Beddau

1947 - Beating the Bounds was held in June. Members of the Cremation Society, Lord Mayor of Cardiff and Llantrisant Town Trust gathered on the steps of Zoar Chapel where Penelopen Price unveiled the bronze plaque in memory of her father, Dr William Price. The new council estate, Dancaerlan, was officially opened

1949 – Llantrisant RFC, who celebrated the opening of their new pitch at Cefn Mabley, reached the Mallet Cup Final. The Charter of 1424 was placed with the Glamorgan Record Office in May

1951 - Celebrations were held to honour Pontypridd swimmer Jenny James, the first woman to complete the English Channel. Work began building the Common Housing Estate, once part of Tyr Pantyscawen Farm

1953 – Llantrisan Workingmens Club opened in the Rock and Fountain public house. Dr J.C.R.Morgan retired as Llantrisant GP. The practice was taken over by his son, David. Festivities took place to mark the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II

1954 - Beating the Bounds held on 19 June

1956 – The new workingmens club built on site of three houses on Swan Street. Llantrisant Town Trust purchased Guildhall from the local council. Following the disbanding of the Home Guard, members enjoyed the facilities in the shooting range at the old quarry on Erw Hir

1960 – Elim Chapel closed. The Loving Cup was presented to the Town Trust by Sir Brandon Rhys Williams

1961 - Beating the Bounds held in June 

1964 – Wesleyan Chapel closed

1965 – Vicarage demolished and a new house was built nearby

1967 - A new wooden pulpit was added by Miss Rosie Silkstone in memory of her parents. It was dedicated on 18 June

1968 - Beating the Bounds was held on 1 June. The Royal Mint opened at Llantrisant. The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh and Prince of Wales visited the site  

1970 – Mary David closed her butchers shop on the Bull Ring. An attempted robbery took place at Llantrisant Post Office. Subpostmistress Nesta Little and colleage Muriel Thomas fought off the intruders

1971 - Llantrisant & District Historical Society was formed

1973 - Llantrisant RFC Clubhouse was opened

1974 - Llantrisant became part of Taff Ely Borough Council. In September a new primary school was opened on the woodland near the demolished Vicarage and named Coed Yr Esgob. Jeff Hooper won the New Faces talent show

1975 - Beating the Bounds held on 28 June. Dillwyn Lewis published "A History of Llantrisant"

1976 – Ysgol Gynradd Gymraeg Llantrisant was opened

1981 – Taffs Acre soap opera was filmed in Llantrisant

1982 - Beating the Bounds was held on May 3 to coincide with the first Llantrisant Festival which saw the unveiling of the statue to Dr William Price on the Bull Ring

1985 - Llantrisant Leisure Centre was opened

1989 - Beating the Bounds was held in June. J Barry Davies published the "Freemen & Ancient Borough of Llantrisant. The Model House Craft & Design Centre opened

1990 - Llantrisant Post Office was relocated from Commercial Street to Swan Street following the retirement of subpostmaster Peter Little. Butchers Arms Gallery & Coffee Shop opened

1996 - Beating the Bounds was held on 8 June

1998 - The Lamb & Flag public house burnt down

1999 - Opening of the Royal Glamorgan Hospital.

2000 - "Llantrisant In Old Photographs" was published by Dean Powell

2001 - Llantrisant Common was closed for grazing due to the Foot & Mouth Epidemic

2002 – "Llantrisant Revisited" was published by Dean Powell. Penuel Chapel was closed. The film starring Christopher Walken, Brenda Bleddyn and Lee Evans called "Plots With a View" was filmed in Llantrisant

2003 - Beating the Bounds was held on 7 June

2004 – Ysgol Gynradd Gymraeg Llantrisant was relocated to Miskin. The former school closed after almost 140 years

2008 – Closure of Llantrisant Post Office. Beating the Bounds Marker Stones were erected by the Llantirsant Town Trust and Llantrisant Community Council

2010 - Beating the Bounds was held on 5 June. The television programmes "Indian Doctor" and "Dr Who" were filmed in Llantrisant.

2014 – A major refurbishment of Llantrisant Church Hall took place. Ye Olde Town Butchers opened on Swan Street and "With Love…Flowers & Gifts" opened on High Street.

2015 - Llantrisant was twinned with Crecy en Ponthieu. The businesses "Polkadot Teapot" and "Thom Botwood The Studio" were opened

2016 - The opening of the Royal Mint Visitors’ Centre was followed by the unveiling of the Llantrisant War Memorial. The £1.1million transformation of Llantrisant Guildhall was launched.

2019 - Llantrisant Guildhall reopened following a £1.4million restoration project to create a new heritage and visitors' centre for the town

Llantrisant Maps

Since the 1830s historians have benefited from a succession of ordnance survey maps of the old town of Llantrisant.

These help to illustrate the lay out of this complex, unplanned hilltop town with its many cobbled streets and narrow passageways.

View the various maps, designed over successive generations and you can see how this historic town continually developed throughout the 19th century on a footprint that has existed as the oval hilltop enclosure for almost a thousand years.

The Castle and Guildhall in 1824

The Ancient Borough of Llantrisant (1832)

The Ancient Borough of Llantrisant (1875)

Llantrisant c. 1870

Llantrisant c. 1900